John has practised EU law in Brussels for more than 15 years. During this time he has been the partner in charge of the offices of first Taylor Joynson Garrett (now Taylor Wessing) and subsequently of Eversheds.
Since 2004 John acted as co-chair of Eversheds International Trade & Commerce Group which provided exporters and companies trading internationally with an integrated legal offering combining – customs, tax, trade defence, shipping and logistics and marketing compliance.
John established Grayston & Company in 2007 to pursue the objective of providing cost effective high value added trade, regulatory and commercial advice to international clients – whether or not based in the EU.
John has in depth experience of all aspects of EU Regulatory law including:
- Export and Trade Controls – compliance programmes for EU based companies with EU and national export control regimes; complex compliance issues for companies subject to extra-territorial application of USA laws – including ITAR, BIS and EAR rulings and scope of US embargoes
- Competition law – Merger Control filings; joint ventures; compliance programmes, dawn raid support
- EU State aid – advice on compliance with State aid regime
- International trade law – anti-dumping; anti-subsidy; safeguard measures; rules of origin and customs disputes
- Public procurement – advice on compliance with public procurement rules and procedures especially in relation to the Utilities Sector – application of procurement rules to IPP, energy network projects and transport