For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act) & the EU GDPR 2018, the data controller is D.C. Houghton Ltd. We are committed to protecting your privacy.
Our nominated data controller for the purpose of the Act is Mark Cusick: email@example.com
Types of personal information we collect about you
The personal information we collect about you depends on your relationship with us and includes:
- Your personal contact details such as name, title, postal addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers.
- The organisation you work for and your position.
- Technical information, such as information from your visits to our website or relating to the event invitations, updates, marketing materials and other communications we send to you electronically.
- Your communication preferences regarding marketing materials.
How we collect your personal information
The ways in which we collect personal information about you may include the following:
- In the course of subscription and purchase procedures; ie when you subscribe to the free WorldECR news alert; when you subscribe to the journals WorldECR and/or Trade Security Journal; when you purchase one of our books; when you attend our events; when you request information about our products; when you request complimentary materials; when you enter competitions or Awards.
- Through your general use of our website. In particular, we collect personal information about you if you complete forms on our website, such as the ‘News Alert Sign Up’.
- Through your responses to our emails asking that you confirm and update information we maintain about you, or that you provide your consent for us to communicate with you.
- Through information you may provide to us at conferences and similar events.
- When you have asked us to include you in lists of individuals who wish to receive information about our products and other developments.
Additionally, we may collect and process the following data about you:
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our site and of the fulfilment of your orders.
- Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
How we use your personal information
We may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To manage, administer and improve our provision of our products and materials.
- To provide information requested by you.
- To provide, administer, monitor the use of, and improve this website.
- To provide the WorldECR news alert, and to promote our services, including by sending to you personalized event invitations, updates and other marketing materials.
Our legal bases for using your personal information
We use your personal information on the following bases:
- To perform a contract, such as engaging with you to provide our products and communications.
- To comply with a legal obligation.
- For our legitimate interests, as summarized above under the heading ‘How we use your personal information’.
Cookies and IP addresses
We may collect information about your computer, including, where available, your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
- To estimate our audience size and usage pattern.
- To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests.
- To speed up your searches.
- To recognise you when you return to our site.
Where we store your personal data
Data relating to paid-for subscriptions, book sales and conference registrations is stored and processed in the UK.
Personal data we do not store
We do not store the details of any credit card used in transactions you have made through our website. That information is provided to the payment service provider, Paypal, and is not shared with us.
How we use the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
Disclosure of information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If D.C. Houghton Ltd or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its customers will be one of the transferred assets.
We will ensure you can exercise your rights in relation to the personal data you provide to us. These are as follows:
- Where we are relying on your consent to use your personal data, you can withdraw that consent or unsubscribe from our services at any time.
- You can request access to the personal data we hold about you at any time by contacting the nominated data controller whose contact details are found at the top of this notice.
- You can ask us to update your personal data if it changes. In certain circumstances, you can request we erase the personal data we hold, or ask us to stop or restrict processing if you have an objection.
- You can ask for a copy of your information in a machine-readable format to allow you to obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes across different services. (the right to data portability).
- If you have any privacy-related questions or unresolved problems relating to the use of your personal data, you may complain to us by contacting the nominated data controller whose details are found at the top of this notice.
- You also have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office, the supervisory authority, about our collection and use of your personal data. They can be contact at Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, www.ico.org.uk. Further details about your rights and the complaints process can be found on the Information Commissioner’s website. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you no longer wish to receive our communications, you may opt-out of receiving them by following the instructions included in each communication or by submitting a request to email@example.com